Friday, August 1, 2008

Lucky Girl


LUCKY GIRL
I’ll always remember meeting Benjamin for the first time it was at church. He said that I gave a nice talk and he loved my southern accent. Then he asked me to sit next to him in Sunday school. Towards the end of class he asked for my phone number. I remember my face turning bright red. I really thought he was cute, so I was shocked when he asked for it. He called me that night to go to a fireside at church. We wrote notes back and forth during the meeting. He took me home and on the way home he mentions that he was in the Army. I asked if he thought he would get deployed. He said, “No”. For the reason that his unit had not been deployed in years. I still remember the promise that I made myself years ago never to marry anyone in the Military. I thought it was just too hard for families. I gave him a hug that night a hug that meant that I really like him. He called me later that week and we went to a basketball game at the school. That date was just okay. But later he invited me to his apt for dinner. Before I went over he called and said, “Guess what, I got a job”. I said, “Oh where”? He said, “Fort Carson”. I started to cry, I really thought he was going to Iraq. He said that he was leaving that night, but I could still come over for dinner. I remember that I wore my tightest jeans and went over. When I got there you could tell that he was leaving. I tried to act like nothing was wrong, which drove Ben crazy. It was the only way I knew how to deal with him leaving. He played songs for me on his garter. We hugged and I told him that I would pray for him and to keep in touch. I really thought that I would never see him again. But later that week he called and said that he was going to be in Provo and wanted to know if I wanted to drive up and see him. So my roommate and I headed for Provo. We saw my parents and we decide to go and eat Mexican. When we got out of the car, Ben grabbed my head and from then on I knew we were a couple. From then on I knew we had something special and that I had no desire to date anyone else. Ben and I decide to play mini Golf. We had so much fun together. I loved how he held me close and he even kissed me. After golf went to his sister’s house and had ice cream and talked. His mom was real nice. I really liked his family. Then Ben and I decided to see a movie, but nothing good was playing so we decided to rent a movie. At the rental store the clerk laughed so hard at his Id. He still had his id from when he was sixteen years old. It made me wonder what it would be like as a couple, because we both look very young for our age. We rented a movie and went to my sister’s house and watched it with her family. The next day we went to church and he put his arm around me. I felt so loved, but I still wondered what would happen between us. The next day he called me and told me that he loved me. Ben had quite an affect on me. He could always put a smile on my face. Every time the phone would ring and it was for me my roommate said that I would get the biggest smile on my face. I loved how Ben has high self esteem. He is easy to talk to. He even can talk about spiritual things. I loved his laugh and smile. He was easy to get along with. He made me want to be a better person. I knew that he attended church and studies his scriptures. He was a good missionary and a great leader. I was so thankful for hi example and his love that he showed me. I was starting to fall in love with Ben. We talked about kissing and he aked me if I had a three strike rule. I said no, why. He said that I dogged his third kiss on Saturday night. I knew that our friendship would grow over time. Ben was always on my mind, but I only wished that I could see him more. I wish he could hold me and let me know that everything would be okay. I went to Provo again to see my family and to hang out with Ben again. We went to an Italian restaurant. Then we went to BYU and played around on campus. We went to the game room and played DDR We snuggled all weekend. I just knew we were meant to be together. It is crazy how one moment can change everything. Ben called the next day and told me that he really loved me and that he fun over the weekend. I had a special connection with Ben. He was my best friend. He said that he adores me and he could see us married. But I knew that I would not be able see him for at lease another year. I remember hoping for the war to be over so he could come home. It was hard having him away. Hard times made the relationship stronger. I became falling more and more in love with Ben Hewett. He brought out the best in me and made me want to be a better person. Ben went against everything I said about dating a guy I n the Army. I guess the lord had other plans for me. I was thankful that I served in the Fort Campbell area. I helped me understand the Army and be comfortable with Ben being away for a while. I became to realize that the reason I came to SUU was to meet Ben. On March 29th 2003, my life changed forever. Ben and I were talking on the phone. We were whispering sweet nothings over the phone. We decided to define the relationship. I told Ben that I loved him and that he was the only guy for me. He told me that he loved me so much. He went on to say that he could not wait until February. More specificity he could not been away from me until February. Then he asked if he could save up leave and get married over the summer and I would have to move to Fort Carson for the fall. I said I would love that. He made me just melt and I think that me heart stopped. I wonder when we would officially get engaged and when in the summer it would happen. I felt like such a lucky girl. I was still in shock and could not believe that this was happening to me. Ben had the same goals that I had. He wants a family and he loves the Lord. On the phone I told him that I won’t be Sister Garrett anymore, but that okay because Janice Lynn Hewett sounds really good. Ben always left the cutest message on my answering machine. He said once, “How would I live without you. One day with out speaking to you is torture. I love you. I was so happy that I was going to be his wife. Ben left me a note in my journal. It says, “Dear Janice, You are dearer to me than you know. I love to hold you near and hear your heartbeat. Then my heart speeds off to catch up. You are my angel. When we hold each other I feel like you are carrying me to a better place, but truly it is time doing that. I love you a little more each day. You are my best friend and the only person for me. You make me feel like I’ve been missing vital organs and only now have discover them. You make me whole and complete. When we are sealed, we will not only be bound, but put together at every edge. I can’t wait! I will always love and adore you because you are special. I know that God put you in my path and I thank him daily. Love, Forever, Benjamin Marion Hewett”. He has lived up to everything that he has said or written to me. I sure love him. On April 12, 2003 Ben and I once again went home to Provo, Utah. That morning we went to the Mount Timpaonas Temple. After the session we to the temple office and Ben said, “We are getting married in July and we would like to get a time for our sealing”. They asked my name and I was so nervous that I could not even remember my middle name or how to spell it. My Middle name is Lynn so I knew I must have been really nervous. I had every right to be. That date would change my life forever and my last name. That afternoon we went to Salt Lake City, Utah to a view called Ensign Peak. It is so pretty you can see the whole valley. We were just talking and then Ben said, “I love you so so so much and will always love you.” Then he got on one knee and asked me to marry him. I said, “Yes”! Then we kissed and hugged. I had the biggest smile on my face. It really made me feel so special. I was so excited that I totally forgot about the ring. I loved it the moment I saw it. It was perfect for me. We went to the Roof restaurant and had a very nice meal. Then we went to his friend’s Sam’s house to show off the ring. We went to my parents and my mom gave him the biggest hug and started asking tons of questions. The next day we went to Cedar City and then to Vegas to see my sister Joanne and show off the ring and that we were engaged. She approved of Ben and that made me feel so relived. We set our wedding date for June 28, 2003. I could not wait for that day to come. I made a trip out to Colorado Springs. So we could take our engagement pictures. They turned out awesome. This was nice, because we just had one of his buddies take the pictures. The months proceeding to our wedding seemed to take forever. I was out of school and back home for the summer. I got a job at a Mexican restaurant. I hated it and time seemed to be still. Ben could not come out to see me, because he was saving leave for the wedding. We also seemed to fight more over the phone. The distance thing was starting to take a toll on us. Finally the wedding date came. We met at the Provo Temple for our sealing. I was glad that Ben showed up. Of course that would be any bride biggest fear. All of our family was there. It was a special feeling to know that I was going to going to be with Ben forever. That was the best choice that I had ever made. We took pictures and then departed the temple to get ready for our reception. Friends and family came. It was a special them to celebrate our new life together. We were both excited about getting out of the reception and start our life together. It was a scary feeling to be somebody’s wife forever. My life had changed forever. We took our honeymoon in Jackson Hole, WY. We went horseback riding, hiking and river rafting. It was so much fun. After the honeymoon was over got our moving van and started our life in Colorado. I would say that being married to him as been the best. I feel so thankful that I was able to met Ben on that fateful day in Cedar City. What a lucky girl that I am.

No comments: